Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it
Дата
Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/15/14, 4:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 1/15/14, 1:53 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Yes, I'm also arguing that postgresql.auto.conf should go into conf.d.
>>> I said I'd bring that up again after ALTER SYSTEM SET was committed, and
>>> here it is.
>
>> Independent of the above, I don't agree with that.  postgresql.auto.conf
>> is a special thing and should have its own special place.  For once
>> thing, when putting configuration files in a separate directory
>> structure (/etc/ vs /var), then postgresql.auto.conf should stay in the
>> data directory.
>
> It seems like we still aren't all on the same page as to whether the
> conf.d directory (and contained files) should be expected to be writable
> by the postgres server or not.  I think it's hopeless to proceed further
> unless there's a strong consensus on that.

You can turn this around and ask, why should it be writable?  The server
has no need to write anything there.

In my mind, a conf.d directory is an extension of a single-file
configuration, and so it should be handled that way.