Re: plpgsql.consistent_into

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: plpgsql.consistent_into
Дата
Re: plpgsql.consistent_into  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/13/14, 1:44 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> 2014/1/12 Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org <mailto:fgp@phlo.org>>
>
>     On Jan12, 2014, at 22:37 , Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > There is  GUC for variable_conflict already too. In this case I would to
>      > enable this functionality everywhere (it is tool how to simply eliminate
>      > some kind of strange bugs) so it needs a GUC.
>      >
>      > We have GUC for plpgsql.variable_conflict three years and I don't know
>      > about any problem.
>
>     I must say I hate behaviour-changing GUCs with quite some passion. IMHO
>     they tend to cause bugs, not avoid them, in the long run. The pattern
>     usually is
>
>        1) Code gets written, depends on some particular set of settings
>           to work correctly
>
>        2) Code gets reused, with little further testing since it's supposed
>           to be battle-proven anyway. Settings get dropped.
>
>        3) Code blows up for those corner-cases where the setting actually
>           matter. Debugging is hell, because you effectively have to go
>           over the code line-by-line and check if it might be affected by
>           some GUC or another.
>
>     Only a few days ago I spent more than an hour tracking down a bug
>     which, as it turned out, was caused by a regex which subtly changed its
>     meaning depending on whether standard_conforming_strings is on or off.
>
>     Some GUCs are unavoidable - standard_conforming_strings, for example
>     probably still was a good idea, since the alternative would have been
>     to stick with the historical, non-standard behaviour forever.
>
>     But in this case, my feeling is that the trouble such a GUC may cause
>     out-weights the potential benefits. I'm all for having a directive like
>     #consistent_into (though I feel that the name could convey the
>     meaning better). If we *really* think that this ought to be the default
>     from 9.4 onward, then we should
>
>        *) Change it to always complain, except if the function explictly
>           specifies "#consistent_into on" or whatever.
>
>        *) Have pg_dump add that to all plpgsql functions if the server
>           version is < 9.4 or whatever major release this ends up in
>
>     That's all just my opinion of course.
>

> I am thinking so GUC and plpgsql option can live together. If you like to accent a some behave, then you can use a
plpgsqloption. On second hand, I would to use a some functionality, that is safe, but I don't would to dirty source
codeby using repeated options. But I have to check (and calculate with risk) a GUC settings.

> One idea: required GUC? Can be nice a possibility to ensure some GUC setting, and restore ensure these values or
raiseswarning.

> Back to main topic. Required and described feature doesn't change a behave of INTO clause. I can enable or disable
thisfunctionality and well written code should to work without change (and problems). When check is disabled, then
executionis just less safe. So in this case, a impact of GUC is significantly less than by you described issues. Does
knowanybody a use case where this check should be disabled?

> Probably we have a different experience about GUC. I had a problem with  standard_conforming_strings and bytea format
someyears ago. Now I prepare document about required setting. But I can see (from my experience from Czech area) more
often problems related to effective_cache_size or from_collapse_limit and similar GUC. These parameters are behind
knowledge(and visibility) typical user.

ISTM that in this case, it should be safe to make the new default behavior STRICT; if you forget to set the GUC to
disablethan you'll get an error that points directly at the problem, at which point you'll go "Oh, yeah... I forgot to
setX..."

Outside of the GUC, I believe the default should definitely be STRICT. If your app is relying on non-strict then you
needto be made aware of that. We should be able to provide a DO block that will change this setting for every function
you'vegot if someone isn't happy with STRICT mode.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net

От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds