Re: Compiling extensions on Windows

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Compiling extensions on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 01/12/2014 07:22 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 11:13 AM, Joe Conway wrote: What I mean is that you
> should not need a full Pg build tree to compile extensions. Just as
> we use PGXS on *nix, so it is possible to just use Visual Studio to
> build the extension on Windows as a VS project like any other.

I have never gotten that to work.

>> As long as the SDK is matched, the resulting plr.dll works fine
>> with the EDB one-click installer version of postgres (or at
>> least so far).
>
> The SDK shouldn't even need to match. Windows software is expected
> to cope with mismatched, mix-and-match C runtimes. Icky, but
> occasionally useful.

Unfortunately my experience tells me otherwise. Mismatched SDK =
plr.dll that does not work correctly with EDB builds of postgres.

> So long as you don't pass a FILE* across DLL boundaries, or free()
> memory that was malloc()'d in another DLL, mixing runtimes should
> work fine. I'd be interested in knowing what problems you
> encountered when the runtime didn't match.

plr would not load. I'm not good enough with MSVC and Windows
debuggers to figure out why, and don't have the time or interest to
become so, I just know matching the SDK to the postgres build resulted
in it owrking for me and no more complaints of this type from the
field. It would work fine with the postgres build I made, but not with
the EDB build which of course is what virtually everyone running pg on
Windows uses.

> Maybe it's specific to how we do build within a Pg source tree? I
> was able to use three different SDK builds against EDB's latest
> 9.3 packages - SDK 7.1 (x86 and x64), toolchain v90 (x86), and
> toolchain v100 (x86) - to compile and test a moderately trivial
> extension.

Trivial is probably the key thing. With PL/R it also has to link
against the R.dll which is built with yet another toolchain on Windows.

Joe

- --
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us