Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/10/2014 07:41 AM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 04:30:25PM -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> ISTM that allowing users to pick arbitrary lower array bounds was a
>> huge mistake. I've never seen anyone make use of it, can't think of
>> any legitimate use cases for it, and hate the stupendous amount of
>> extra code needed to deal with it.
>>
>> Obviously we can't just drop support, but what about an initdb (or
>> hell, even configure) option to disallow arrays with a lower bound
>> <> 1? Unfortunately we can't do this with a GUC since you can store
>> arrays in a table.
>
> We have dropped support, as you put it, for bigger and harder-hitting
> mistakes than this.

Implicit casts to text, anybody?

Everybody used them. The project dropped them anyway, and did so pretty
much unconditionally at that.

This is a vastly less heavily used feature. I'd be really, really glad
to see it disabled by default at initdb time, with a warning saying the
initdb option to enable it will go away in a few versions.