Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/10/14, 4:14 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Considering what you'd normally want to do in SQL, the only example I can
>>> think of is to not have the argument over 0 vs 1 based.
>>>
>>> Actually, I was thinking there might be some computational problems where
>>> changing lower bound would be nice, but then again, what other languages
>>> actually support this?
>>
>> Perl does, though they regret it bitterly.
>
> What does it matter?  Our arrays have had the capability for years and
> years and "because it's cleaner" is simply not justification to break
> people's applications.  Why are we even considering this?

Because it's a foot-gun. So far no one has given a legitimate use case for it and supporting it *greatly* complicates
iteratingover arrays.

Also, just to be clear, I'd be fine with offering a better alternative and leaving existing arrays alone. I don't see
anyeasy way to do that, but maybe someone's got a good idea on that.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net