Re: Standalone synchronous master

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Standalone synchronous master
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/09/2014 02:01 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Sure.  I wasn't volunteering to implement it, just saying that what
>> we've got now is not designed to guarantee data survival across failure
>> of more than one server.  Changing things around the margins isn't
>> going to improve such scenarios very much.
>>
>> It struck me after re-reading your example scenario that the most
>> likely way to figure out what you had left would be to see if some
>> additional system (think Nagios monitor, or monitors) had records
>> of when the various database servers went down.  This might be
>> what you were getting at when you said "logging", but the key point
>> is it has to be logging done on an external server that could survive
>> failure of the database server.  postmaster.log ain't gonna do it.
>
> Yeah, and I think that the logging command that was suggested allows
> for that *if configured correctly*.
*But* for relying on this, we would also need to make logging
*synchronous*,
which would probably not go down well with many people, as it makes things
even more fragile from availability viewpoint (and slower as well).

Cheers

--
Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Consultant

От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: Standalone synchronous master
От: Michael Meskes
Сообщение: Re: [bug fix] ECPG app crashes due to SIGBUS on SPARC Solaris