Re: Standalone synchronous master

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Standalone synchronous master
Дата
Re: Standalone synchronous master  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Standalone synchronous master  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/08/2014 01:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Sync mode is about providing a guarantee that the data exists on more than
> one server *before* we tell the client it's committed.  If you don't need
> that guarantee, you shouldn't be using sync mode.  If you do need it,
> it's not clear to me why you'd suddenly not need it the moment the going
> actually gets tough.

As I understand it what is being suggested is that if a subscriber or
target goes down, then the master will just sit there and wait. When I
read that, I read that the master will no longer process write
transactions. If I am wrong in that understanding then cool. If I am not
then that is a serious problem with a production scenario. There is an
expectation that a master will continue to function if the target is
down, synchronous or not.

Sincerely,

JD

--