Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/01/2014 19:47, Susan Cassidy wrote:
> When I start postgres using postgres -D $PGDATA, it hangs, and I see
> that postgres and all the other attendant processes are running, but I
> never get my prompt back.
>
> If I hit ctl/C, postgres ends running.
>
> I can't seem to figure out why.

You're running the postgres program directly in the foreground, rather
than as a daemon. This is handy for trying things out, but you'll
generally want to start and stop it using the package's control scripts.
On Debian, for example:

   /etc/init.d/postgresql start

or

  service postgresql start