Re: window function induces full table scan

От Thomas Mayer
Тема Re: window function induces full table scan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Just to track it down: The limitation can also be reproduced without
using views. Using views is just a use case where the suggested
optimization is actually needed.

Plus, when I remove the condition "WHERE datepos = 1", the same
behaviour still occurs. Here, I wanted to see if postgresql is
preferring the condition "WHERE datepos = 1" (datepos is the result of
the window function) over the condition "user_id = 43" for optimization.
But this is not the case.

-- workaround example: "WHERE user_id = 43" condition in subselect

SELECT user_id, latitude, longitude
FROM (
        SELECT
          user_id,
          latitude,
          longitude,
          rank() OVER (PARTITION BY user_id ORDER BY date DESC, id DESC)
AS datepos
        FROM checkin_node
        WHERE user_id = 43
      ) AS tmp_last_position
WHERE datepos = 1; -- takes 2 ms

-- track it down: reproduce limitation without a view:

SELECT user_id, latitude, longitude
FROM (
        SELECT
          user_id,
          latitude,
          longitude,
          rank() OVER (PARTITION BY user_id ORDER BY date DESC, id DESC)
            AS datepos
        FROM checkin_node
      ) AS tmp_last_position
WHERE datepos = 1
AND user_id = 43; -- takes 6621 ms

-- without datepos condition

SELECT user_id, latitude, longitude
FROM (
        SELECT
          user_id,
          latitude,
          longitude,
          rank() OVER (PARTITION BY user_id ORDER BY date DESC, id DESC)
            AS datepos
        FROM checkin_node
      ) AS tmp_last_position
WHERE user_id = 43; -- takes 6574 ms

Best regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Mayer

Сообщение: Re: window function induces full table scan
Сообщение: Re: window function induces full table scan