Re: window function induces full table scan

От Thomas Mayer
Тема Re: window function induces full table scan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
You understood me correctly, Tom.

As you mention, the result would be correct in my case:
- The window function is performing a "PARTITION BY user_id".
- user_id is used for the WHERE condition.

I agree, that in general (PARTITION BY and WHERE don't use the same set
of attributes), incorrect results could occur when performing the WHERE
condition before performing the window function.

However, in this special case, PARTITION BY and WHERE use the same set
of attributes which safely allows some optimization.

In fact, this is getting complicated when multiple window functions with
different PARTITION BY's are used in one statement.

I think, performing the WHERE condition before performing the window
function would be safe if the WHERE condition attribute is element of
the PARTITION-BY-set of attributes of _every_ window function of the
statement.

To ensure correctness, WHERE condition attributes which are _not_
element of the PARTITION-BY-set of attributes of _every_ window function
of the statement need to be performed after performing the window function.

So, the optimizer could check if it's safe or not.

Regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Mayer

Сообщение: Re: window function induces full table scan
Сообщение: Re: window function induces full table scan