Re: Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/31/2013 03:06 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 2:34 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>> point is just x,y, it doesn't understand the spherical lat/long math
>>> (unless you install PostGIS and use its Geometry types which are fully
>>> aware of spherical coords), that said, Latitude is generally used as X
>>> (left/right, aka east/west), while Longitude is Y (up/down aka
>>> north/south)
>>
>> I thought it was the other way around?
>

> arrrgh, you're right.   LONGITUDE is east/west, LATITUDE Is
> north/south.  so, its X = long, Y = lat.
>
> doy!

Yea, it is one of those inverse things, longitudinal lines run in a N-S
direction but are plotted in the E-W direction and vice versa for
latitude. Me remembering usually involves a certain amount of hand
waving while I work it out on an imaginary globe:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com