Re: Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??
Дата
json query problem
Список pgsql-general
On 12/31/2013 12:45 PM, peterlen wrote:
> PostgreSQL has a geometric data type of "point".  The format is listed as (x,
> y) but I am not sure if the X is to represent latitude or longitude.  I have
> seen different systems that us X for either.  Typically, coordinates should
> be read as lat/long but I have seen the opposite as well.  An example in the
> help docs listed a point coordinate as x= longitude and y=latitude.  Can
> someone clarify what the postgres standard is?  What this will come down to
> is how built-in geospatial functions will interpret the point value.

Well the point data type is just that a point with x, y coordinates. The
concept of longitude and latitude are higher order defined other systems
that use the point type as a building block, i.e. Postgis. So which help
docs did you see the x= longitude and y=latitude statement?