Re: SQL objects UNITs

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: SQL objects UNITs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/18/13, 4:22 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>      ALTER UNIT name SET SCHEMA <new schema>;

FWIW, with the "units" that we've developed we use schemas to differentiate between public objects and "internal"
(privateor protected) objects. So single-schema stuff becomes a PITA. Of course, since extensions already work that way
Isuppose that ship has sailed, but I thought I'd mention it.

For those who are curious... we make the distinction of public/protected/private via schemas because we don't want
generalusers to need to wade through that stuff when looking at objects. So the convention we settled on is that public
objectsgo in one schema, protected objects go in a schema of the same name that's prepended with "_", and private
objectsare in the protjected schema but also prepend "_" to their names. IE:

CREATE SCHEMA awesome_feature;
CREATE VIEW awesome_feature.have_some_data

CREATE SCHEMA _awesome_feature; -- Protected / private stuff
CREATE VIEW _awesome_feature.stuff_for_database_code_to_see_but_not_users
CREATE FUNCTION _awesome_feature._do_not_run_this_function_anywhere_outside_of_awesome_feature()
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net