Re: Why no INSTEAD OF triggers on tables?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Why no INSTEAD OF triggers on tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/16/2013 04:22 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I've looked in the archives, but I can't find a reason why INSTEAD OF
>> triggers were never enabled for tables.
>
> What would that mean exactly?  And how would you do the actual update
> when it came time to?

Well, I'm specifically thinking of master partition tables.  In that
case, we really want an INSTEAD OF trigger.

It seems a little silly that I need to create a separate view, and then
an INSTEAD OF trigger on the view, in order to get a rows-updated count
back from an INSERT which hits a partitioned table.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.