Re: stats for network traffic WIP

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/11/13 12:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> Is there a reason why you can't get this directly from the OS?
>
>> I would say that its more of a convenience to track the usage directly
>> from the database instead of setting up OS infrastructure to store it.
>
> The thing that I'm wondering is why the database would be the right place
> to be measuring it at all.  If you've got a network usage problem,
> aggregate usage across everything on the server is probably what you
> need to be worried about, and PG can't tell you that.

Except how many folks that care about performance that much don't have dedicated database servers?

BTW, since someone mentioned CPU etc, what I'd be interested in is being able to see what OS-level resources were
consumedby individual queries. You can already get that to a degree via explain (at least for memory and buffer reads),
butit'd be very useful to see what queries are CPU or IO-bound.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net