Re: Reference to parent query from ANY sublink

От Antonin Houska
Тема Re: Reference to parent query from ANY sublink
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/12/2013 04:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, on further thought, I'm afraid this is a bigger can of worms than
> it appears.  The remarks above presume that the subquery is simple enough
> to be pulled up, which is the case in this example.  It might not be too
> hard to make that case work.  But what if the subquery *isn't* simple
> enough to be pulled up --- for instance, it includes grouping or
> aggregation?  Then there's no way to unify its WHERE clause with the upper
> semijoin qual.  At the very least, this breaks the uniqueify-then-do-a-
> plain-join implementation strategy for semijoins.

After having thought about it further, I think I understand.

> So I'm now thinking this patch isn't worth pursuing.  Getting all the
> corner cases right would be a significant amount of work, and in the
> end it would only benefit strangely-written queries.

Originally it seemed to me that I just (luckily) found a new opportunity
for the existing infrastructure. To change the infrastructure because of
this small feature would be exactly the opposite. Thanks for having
taken a look at it.

// Antonin Houska (Tony)