Re: In-Memory Columnar Store

От knizhnik
Тема Re: In-Memory Columnar Store
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/12/2013 07:03 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:02 AM, knizhnik <knizhnik@garret.ru> wrote:
> Yeah. It's not fair to compare vs an implementation that is
> constrained to use only 1mb. For analytics work huge work mem is
> pretty typical setting. 10x improvement is believable considering
> you've removed all MVCC overhead, locking, buffer management, etc. and
> have a simplified data structure. merlin
I agree that it is not fair comparison. As an excuse I can say that I am
not an experienced PostgreSQL user, so I thought that setting
shared_buffers is enough to avoid disk access by PostgreSQL. Only after
getting such strange results I started investigation of how to properly
tune P{ostgreSQL parameters.

IMHO it is strange to see such small default values in postgresql
configuration - PostgreSQL is not an embedded database and now even
mobile devices have several gigs of memory...
Also it will be nice to have one single switch - how much physical
memory can PostgreSQL use. And let PostgreSQL spit it in optimal way.
For example I have no idea how to optimally split memory between
""shared_buffers", "temp_buffers", "work_mem", "maintenance_work_mem".
PostgreSQL itself should do this work much better than unexperienced
administrator.

And one of the possible values of such parameter can be "auto": make it
possible to automatically determine available memory (it is not a big
deal to check amount of available RAM in the system). I know that
vendors of big databases never tries to simplify configuration and
tuning of their products: just because most of the profit them get from
consulting. But I think that it is not true for PostgreSQL.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: should we add a XLogRecPtr/LSN SQL type?
От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: In-Memory Columnar Store