Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/05/2013 11:25 PM, MauMau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My customers and colleagues sometimes (or often?) ask about the
> following message:
>
> FATAL:  the database system is starting up

I would LOVE that message to do away, forever.

It's a huge PITA for automated log monitoring, analysis, and alerting.

The other one I'd personally like to change, but realise is harder to
actually do, is to separate "ERROR"s caused by obvious user input issues
from internal ERRORs like not finding the backing file for a relation,
block read errors, etc.

String pattern matching is a crude and awful non-solution, especially
given the way PostgreSQL loves to output messages to the log in whatever
language and encoding the current database connection is in.