Re: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

On 12/05/2013 10:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Before we could get very far we'd need a better understanding than we have
> of what cases a DBA might be interested in.  To take the specific example
> that started this thread, there wouldn't be a lot of value IMO in a
> classification like "connection failure messages".  I think the OP is
> probably right that those are often uninteresting --- but as I mentioned,
> "too many clients" might become interesting if he's wondering whether he
> needs to enlarge max_connections.  Or password failure cases might become
> interesting if he starts to suspect breakin attempts.  So I'd want to see
> a design that credibly covers those sorts of needs before we put any large
> effort into code changes.

Heck, I'd be happy just to have a class of messages which specifically
means "OMG, there's something wrong with the server", that is, a flag
for messages which only occur when PostgreSQL encounters a bug, data
corrpution, or platform error.  Right now, I have to suss those out by
regex.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.