Re: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/05/2013 10:21 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * David Johnston (polobo@yahoo.com) wrote:
>> ISTM that instituting some level of categorization for messages would be
>> helpful.  Then logging and reporting frameworks would be able to identify
>> and segregate the logs in whatever way they and the configuration deems
>> appropriate.
>
> I've wanted to do that and have even discussed it with folks in the
> past, the trick is finding enough toit's, which is difficult when you
> start to look at the size of the task...

But ... if we set a firm policy on this, then we could gradually clean
up the error messages piecemeal over the next couple of major versions.We could also make sure that any new features
compliedwith the

categorization policy.

Right now, how to categorize errors is up to each individual patch
author, which means that things are all over the place, and get worse
with each new feature added.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.