Re: Extension Templates S03E11

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/1/13, 10:47 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Having a management system for sets of objects is a *great* idea- and
> one which we already have through schemas.  What we don't have is any
> kind of versioning system built-in or other metadata about it, nor do we
> have good tooling which leverages such a versioning or similar system.
> Extensions provide some of that metadata around schemas and object
> definitions,

Schemas can't manage objects that are not in schemas, so that won't work.

It would be great if we could take the dependency tracking mechanism in
extensions and expose it separately.  I would like to be able to say

START PACKAGE foo  -- bad name

bunch of DDL

STOP PACKAGE

use it, later

DROP PACKAGE foo;

This mechanism already exists in extensions, but it's combined with a
bunch of other things.  Separating those things (and naming them
separately) might clear a few things up.