Re: Extension Templates S03E11

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/2/13, 9:14 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> What I want to build is an “extension distribution” software that knows
> how to prepare anything from PGXN (and other places) so that it's fully
> ready for being used in the database. Then the main client would run as
> a CREATE EXTENSION "ddl_command_start" Event Trigger and would fetch the
> prepared extension for you and make it available, then leaving the main
> command operate as intended.
>
> Which is what I think the pex extension is doing, and that's not
> coincidental, but it runs the build step on the PostgreSQL server itself
> and needs to have a non-trivial set of file-system privileges to be
> doing so, and even needs to get root privileges with sudo for some of
> its operations.

You're thinking of autopex, and while that works, and can be made to
work better with certain small changes, I don't think it can ever be the
only solution.  Many interesting extensions will have external packages
build and run-time dependencies, and you need file-system level access
to manage that.