Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/03/2013 03:02 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com

>     Would certainly be nice.  Realistically, getting good automated
>     performace tests will require paying someone like Greg S., Mark or me
>     for 6 solid months to develop them, since worthwhile open source
>     performance test platforms currently don't exist.  That money has never
>     been available; maybe I should do a kickstarter.
>

> So in order to get *testing* we need to pay somebody. But to build a
> great database server, we can rely on volunteer efforts or sponsorship
> from companies who are interested in moving the project forward? That
> hardly seems right...  Either it's just not high enough on peoples
> priority lists (in which case you're not likely to get anybody to
> actually pay for it either), or there is some other reason why people
> just don't care. Figuring that out would probably be a pre-requisite to
> get it done. But sure - I'm all for trying a kickstarter. Did anybody
> ever try that for an actual postgres feature? Didn't JD and/or cmd
> and/or pgus at some point try something like that?

We had our own launched thing that was called FOSSExperts. It wasn't
that successful but it is what started the foreign keys project. That
said, something like KickStarter (or one of the other ones) would have a
lot more exposure.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579