Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Дата
Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/03/2013 12:15 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> We are in no way different and I would like to note that we do not have
> any form of sensible performance related regression testing either.
> I would even argue that there is ton more regression testing (be it
> performance or otherwise) going into the linux kernel (even on a
> relative scale) than we do and pointing the finger at something they are
> dealing with once noticed.
> If we care about our performance on various operating systems it is
> _OUR_ responsibility to track that closely and automated and report back
> and only if that feedback loop fails to work we are actually in a real
> position to consider something as drastical as considering a platform
> "undependable" or looking into alternatives (like directIO).

Would certainly be nice.  Realistically, getting good automated
performace tests will require paying someone like Greg S., Mark or me
for 6 solid months to develop them, since worthwhile open source
performance test platforms currently don't exist.  That money has never
been available; maybe I should do a kickstarter.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.