Re: review: psql: edit function, show function commands patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: review: psql: edit function, show function commands patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> so my plan

> a) fix problem with ambiguous $function* like you proposed
> b) fix problem with "first row excepting" - I can activate a detection
> only for plpgsql language - I can identify LANGUAGE before.

Ick.  We should absolutely NOT have a client-side special case for plpgsql.

Personally I'd be fine with dropping the special case from the plpgsql
parser --- I don't believe that that behavior was ever discussed, much
less documented, and I doubt that many people rely on it or even know
it exists.  The need to count lines manually in function definitions is
far less than it was back when that kluge was put in.

If anyone can make a convincing case that it's a good idea to ignore
leading newlines, we should reimplement the behavior in such a way that
it applies across the board to all PLs (ie, make CREATE FUNCTION strip
a leading newline before storing the text).  However, then you'd have
issues about whether or when to put back the newline, so I'm not really
in favor of that route.