Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix whitespace issues found by git diff --check, add gitattribut

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix whitespace issues found by git diff --check, add gitattribut
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 11/11/13, 10:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
>>> Fix whitespace issues found by git diff --check, add gitattributes
>>> Set per file type attributes in .gitattributes to fine-tune whitespace
>>> checks.  With the associated cleanups, the tree is now clean for git
>> Hmm, I thought the .gitattributes file would prevent this:
>>
>> $ git diff --staged --check
>> src/test/regress/expected/join.out:3110: trailing whitespace.
>> + q1 | q2 | f1 | ff
>>
>> Is there something I have to do to configure git to honor the file?
>>
>> (In case it matters, this is git 1.7.1, which is what Red Hat is
>> shipping these days in RHEL6.)
> Older versions of git (before 1.8.2) do not support the "**" syntax used
> here:
>
> **/expected/*.out                       -whitespace
>
> If we're slightly daring, we could change this to just
>
> *.out   -whitespace
>
> and analogously for the other entries, but I haven't fully analyzed that.

Can we please agree on a minimum version of git and just support its
features? Relying on versions close to the bleeding edge affects a lot
of people - specifically it potentially affects every buildfarm member
as well as every developer.

cheers

andrew