Changing pg_dump default file format

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Changing pg_dump default file format
Дата
Re: Changing pg_dump default file format  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: Changing pg_dump default file format  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

For as long as I can remember I have heard complaints about the fact
that pg_dump doesn't use a backup format that is supported by the
pg_restore program. At every single talk that I give that talks about
pg_dump, the people in the majority of the audience agrees that this is
rather silly and a barrier to usability.

The only counter argument I have heard is that it adds an extra step for
developers to get the SQL that generates a database. That to me is a
weak argument as pg_dump is a production/admin too, first, not a
developer tool.

I humbly request on behalf of those who manage production postgresql
instances that we change the default backup file format from -Fp to -Fc.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579