Re: Re: sum of until (running balance) and sum of over date range in the same query

От M. D.
Тема Re: Re: sum of until (running balance) and sum of over date range in the same query
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 10/28/2013 10:17 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> M. D. wrote
>> What I want is a result set grouped by year/quarter/month/week by item,
>> showing on hand at end of that time period and the sum of the amount
>> sold during that time.  Is it possible to get this data in one query?
>> The complication is that the sold qty is over the group, while On Hand
>> is a running balance.
> So my eyes glazed over scanning your post but I notice you are not using
> Window Functions.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/tutorial-window.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-WINDOW-FUNCTIONS
>
> You need to learn about this concept as it likely will readily solve your
> problem.
>
> SELECT day, month, year, sum(sold_qty) AS qty_sold_day_groupall
> , sum(sum(sold_qty)) OVER (PARTITION BY day) AS qty_sold_day
> , sum(sold_qty) OVER (PARTITION BY month) AS qty_sold_month
> , sum(sold_qty) OVER (PARTITION BY year) qty_sold_year
> , sum(sold_qty) OVER (PARTITION BY year ORDER BY day) AS qty_sold_ytd
> FROM ... GROUP BY day, month, year ORDER BY day
>
> Note the double-sum { sum(sum(...)) OVER () } is needed due to the GROUP BY.
> If you want to use the original data you can omit the GROUP BY and the inner
> sum() invocation.
>
> qty_sold_day_groupall == qty_sold_day
> qty_sold_month & qty_sold_year will repeat (the same same exact value for
> every day in the corresponding month/year).
>
> qty_sold_ytd: this is special because of the ORDER BY.  Only the rows prior
> to and including the current day are considered (for the other columns,
> lacking the ORDER BY, every row in the partition is considered) so it
> effectively becomes a running total of all prior days plus the current day.
>
> These are well documented and many window-specific functions exists as well
> as being able to use any normal aggregate function in a window context.
> They take a while to learn but are extremely powerful/useful.  Performance
> can become a factor because unlike normal GROUP BY aggregation every
> original row in the source table is output.  In the above example we didn't
> want all items to be output so we performed a GROUP BY to aggregate the
> items THEN we used windows to perform the separate aggregates in a window
> fashion.
>
> An alternative method (or can be used in conjunction) would be to separate
> these into multiple sub-queries using CTEs (WITH)
>
> WITH group_items AS (  SELECT day, month, year, sum(sold_qty) AS daily_sale
> FROM items ... )
> , group_aggs AS ( SELECT day, month, year, daily_sale, sum(daily_sale) OVER
> (PARTITION BY month) FROM group_item )
>
> or instead of WINDOW functions you can write additional GROUP BY CTE queries
> for the different time-frames
>
> ..., month_total AS ( SELECT month, year, sum(daily_sale) FROM group_items
> GROUP BY month, year )

> [...]

(for running balance), and knew this would require window functions, but
seems like I did not know how to use them properly.  I did not know you
could mix them the way you did here.

Greatly appreciate it.

Mark

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Number of days in a tstzrange?
Сообщение: Re: Number of days in a tstzrange?