Re: Monitoring number of backends

От andy
Тема Re: Monitoring number of backends
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/22/2013 3:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> andy <andy@squeakycode.net> writes:
>> On 10/22/2013 2:18 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>>> that style of php programming, you're getting some HUGE overhead in
>>> connect/disconnect per web page.    putting pg_bouncer in the middle
>>> will make a HUGE improvement, possibly a second per page load on a busy
>>> server.
>
>> No, actually, I don't think my connect overhead is huge.  My apache and
>> postgres are on the same box, and it connects using unix socket.
>
> You're ignoring the fact that PG backends have a pretty considerable
> startup transient.  By the time a backend has gotten its caches populated
> enough to be efficient, it's expended a lot of cycles.  You might be
> getting away with this approach under low load, but it will bite you in
> painful places eventually.
>
>             regards, tom lane
>

 > but it will bite you in
 > painful places eventually.

:-) heh.

Well I think PG is even more impressive now.  My server is on a VM, and
I'm pretty much doing things the slow way,  and I get a page back in
500ms.  And this is a busy time of day.

Of course, I'm right next to the server.  Anyone wanna check page times
for me?

http://jasper.iowaassessors.com/parcel.php?gid=99680

I'm talking JUST parcel.php ... the maps and photos don't count.

Thanks all.

-Andy