Re: [HACKERS] Maximum columns for optimum performance (fwd)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Maximum columns for optimum performance (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> forwards:
> One of our tables have 476 columns and only 12 records or rows in it. We are
> coding in Java. When we compile and run against this table it is super slow.
> Is there a maximum number of columns past which performance suffers?

What exactly are you finding to be super slow?  It's hard to tell from
this report whether the performance problem is in the backend or the
Java client interface (or even in your application code...)

While I can think of places that have loops over columns, I wouldn't
have thought that any of them are remarkably time-critical.  It
probably depends on just what sort of query you are doing ... so a
specific example of a slow query would be helpful, along with the
details of the table declaration.