Re: Timestamp with and without timezone conversion confusion.

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Timestamp with and without timezone conversion confusion.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/02/2013 04:19 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 09:49:38PM +1300, Tim Uckun wrote:
>
>>> The reason for that is that in PostgreSQL there is no time zone
>> information stored along with a "timestamp with time zone",
>> it is stored in UTC.
> A better name might perhaps been "timezone aware timestamp".
>
> Karsten

The trouble is that it isn't timezone aware.

When I have to explain this I tend to tell people to mentally change
"timestamp with time zone" to "point-in-time". That "point-in-time" data
can be represented in many different formats and "localized" to
different zones but they are all the identical point-in-time.

Cheers,
Steve