Re: appendStringInfo vs appendStringInfoString

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: appendStringInfo vs appendStringInfoString
Дата
Re: appendStringInfo vs appendStringInfoString  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: appendStringInfo vs appendStringInfoString  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 28.09.2013 12:44, David Rowley wrote:
> The macro for test 4 was as follows:
> #define appendStringInfoStringConst(buf, s) appendBinaryStringInfo(buf,
> (s), sizeof(s)-1)

If that makes any difference in practice, I wonder if we should just do:

#define appendStringInfoString(buf, s) appendBinaryStringInfo(buf, (s),
strlen(s))

With a compiler worth its salt, the strlen(s) will be optimized into a
constant, if s is a constant. If it's not a constant, we'll just end up
calling strlen(), like appendStringInfoString would anyway. That would
turn a single function call into two in all of the non-constant
callsites, though, bloating the code, so it might not be a win overall.

- Heikki