Re: record identical operator

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: record identical operator
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/18/2013 05:53 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-09-18 11:50:23 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> For my 2c on this, while this can be useful for *us*, and maybe folks
>> hacking pretty close to PG, I can't get behind introducing this as an
>> '===' or some such operator.  I've missed why this can't be a simple
>> function and why in the world we would want to encourage users to use
>> this by making it look like a normal language construct of SQL, which
>> damn well better consider numbers which are equal in value to be equal,
>> regardless of their representation.
> I certainly understand the feeling...
>
> I think this really needs to have an obscure name. Like ==!!== or
> somesuch (is equal very much, but doesn't actually test for equality ;))
In PostgreSQL equality can be "anything" :)

In other words, we have "pluggable equality", so it is entirely
feasible to have an opclass where binary equality is *the* equality

the problem started with some "opclass equality" (case insensitive
comparison) missing user-visible changes.

Cheers

--
Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Consultant

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: record identical operator
От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: UTF8 national character data type support WIP patch and list of open issues.