Re: Where to load modules from?

От Marko Tiikkaja
Тема Re: Where to load modules from?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-09-15 16:51, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-09-15 at 16:09 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> My understanding is that a Commit Fest is mainly about Reviewing, that's
>> why I still added an entry for two designs that I need feedback on
>> before actually coding a solution.
>>
>> Writing the code is the easiest part of those proposals, but that's only
>> true as soon as we decide what code we should be writing.
>
> I understand why using the commit fest process is attractive for this,
> because it enables you to force the issue.  But the point of the commit
> fest is to highlight patches whose discussion has mostly concluded and
> get them committed.  If we add general discussion to the commit fest,
> it'll just become a mirror of the mailing list, and then we'll need yet
> another level of process to isolate the ready patches from that.

I have one item like this in the current commit fest.  I wrote a PoC
patch, but that's just a bad excuse to get around the issue that we
don't really want just RFCs on there.

The problem is when you post an idea requesting comments on -HACKERS,
and nobody or only one person answers despite efforts to try and keep
the discussion alive and/or revive it.  What should one do in that case?  Writing a patch just to throw it away later
becausesomething's

fundamentally broken (or unnacceptable) seems silly if people could have
just looked at the original -HACKERS post and said "this can't possibly
work with your current design".

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja