Re: get rid of SQL_ASCII?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: get rid of SQL_ASCII?
Дата
Re: get rid of SQL_ASCII?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Other ideas?  Are there legitimate uses for SQL_ASCII?

IMO people who want SQL_ASCII should actually be storing everything in
`bytea`; that's a truer reflection of what they're actually storing,
retrieving, and working with and how they're doing it.

Unfortunately there'll be enough users of it around that I don't think
we can drop it.

What we SHOULD be doing is making it an explicit decision to use
SQL_ASCII, and NEVER creating a cluster or database with that encoding
by default. Ever. If we can't decide what the correct default encoding
is (say, if locale is "C") we should error out unless a specific flag is
set.