Re: How clustering for scale out works in PostgreSQL

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: How clustering for scale out works in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 08/29/2013 07:59 AM, Richard Huxton wrote:

> On 29/08/13 13:14, bsreejithin wrote:
>>
>> I am *expecting 1000+ hits to my PostgreSQL DB* and I doubt my
>> standalone DB
>> will be able to handle it.

We are going to need a little more detail here. In a normal environment
1000+ "hits" isn't that much, even if the hit is generating a dozen
queries per page.

A more appropriate action would be to consider the amount of transaction
per second and the type of queries the machine will be doing. You will
want to look into replication, hot standby as well as read only scaling
with pgpool-II.

> OMG! 1000 hits every year! And "hits" too - not just any type of
> query!!!! :-)
>
> Seriously, if you try describing your setup, what queries make up your
> "hits" and what you mean by 1000 then there are people on this list who
> can tell you what sort of setup you'll need.
>
> While you're away googling though, "replication" is indeed the term you
> want. In particular "hot standby" which lets you run read-only queries
> on the replicas.

Sarcasm with new recruits to the community is not the way to go.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

Сообщение: Re: How clustering for scale out works in PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: How clustering for scale out works in PostgreSQL