dynamic type create (was return setof record from function with dynamic query)

От Toby Tremayne
Тема dynamic type create (was return setof record from function with dynamic query)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi Masaru,

   thanks for that - using Grant's instructions I created a new type
   and set it up that way - works beautifully.

   New question - is there any way to dynamically create a type?  IE
   build a list of column names for a new type from the results of a
   select?

Toby

Thursday, December 19, 2002, 2:32:29 AM, you wrote:

MS> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:18:56 +1100
MS> Toby Tremayne <tobyt@toll.com.au> wrote:

>>    ERROR:  A column definition list is required for functions returning RECORD
>>
>>    I'd really appreciate it if someone could show me how to pass back
>>    a set of records please???
>>
>> Toby
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION poptions (INTEGER)
>> RETURNS setof record AS '
>> DECLARE
>>         -- parameters
>>         p_author_id ALIAS FOR $1;
>>
>>         -- local variables
>>         row_data poem_option_def%ROWTYPE;
>>         newrows record;

MS> Possibly, Grant's advice will help you. Maybe around the description
MS> of CREATE TYPE.

MS> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-09/msg01741.php

MS> Regards,
MS> Masaru Sugawara

 ---------------------------------------

             Life is poetry -
               write it in your own words.

 ---------------------------------------

Toby Tremayne
Technical Team Lead
Code Poet and Zen Master of the Heavy Sleep
Toll Solutions
154 Moray St
Sth Melbourne
VIC 3205