pg_ls_dir_files issue with concurrent file unlink

От Sergei Kornilov
Тема pg_ls_dir_files issue with concurrent file unlink
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello
We have some functions for directory listing, e.g. pg_ls_dir, pg_ls_logdir, pg_ls_waldir. All of them call
pg_ls_dir_filesfunction (src/backend/utils/adt/genfile.c) and i have question about per file error in this function.

>        /* Get the file info */
>        snprintf(path, sizeof(path), "%s/%s", fctx->location, de->d_name);
>        if (stat(path, &attrib) < 0)
>            ereport(ERROR,
>                    (errcode_for_file_access(),
>                     errmsg("could not stat directory \"%s\": %m", dir)));

We tried stat file in direectory, but error say only about directory. For example it is possible have very unexpected
(andfearful) error for pg_ls_dir during checkpoint:

> postgres=# SELECT sum(size) AS size_bytes FROM pg_ls_waldir();
> ERROR:  could not stat directory "pg_wal": No such file or directory

It is expected? Maybe it is better skip ENOENT files during directory listing? Or change error to "could not stat file
indirectory \"%s\"" if we do not want report filename for some reason. Or report error for file path instead of dir.

regards, Sergei