Re : Character encoding conversion

От Laurent ROCHE
Тема Re : Character encoding conversion
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Mike,

If I were you (actually that's what I did whne I had the same problem), I will convert the pg_dump file from LATIN1 charset to UTF8, then copy back into the new UTF8 database. And all should work fine.
On windows you will find that text editors like TextPad and Scite (which runs on Linux too) will convert the file from LATIN1 to UTF8. On Linux there must be some command line tools, but I don't know them.

I hope this helps.

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Mike Blackwell <maiku41@sbcglobal.net>
À : pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
Envoyé le : Samedi, 9 Février 2008, 15h22mn 23s
Objet : [pgadmin-support] Character encoding conversion

I have a database which was originally created with LATIN1 encoding.
I'd like to move it to UTF8.  The data will load ok (COPY)  but I am
getting 'invalid byte sequence for encoding..." messages when accessing
the data.

Is there a way to automatically convert the offending characters, or to
easily locate them in a pg_dump file so they can be converted by hand?

Mike

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend