Re: new instance of postgres on windows

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: new instance of postgres on windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/18/2013 12:03 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> If you want to install a completely new instance, just put it into a
> different directory, and given the service a different name.
>
> Newer Postgres versions don't need a dedicated Windows user account
> any more.
>
> I usually don't use the installer any more, but I simply unzip the
> binary distribution, then run initdb with a directory of my choice
> (making sure the privileges are correctly setup) and then use pg_ctl
> to register the service. The only thing you need to make sure is to
> change the port in postgresql.conf before starting the service.

yeah, for an application 'embedded' install, that's DEFINITELY the way
to go.   package up all the postgresql files with your app installer,
and install them in a folder under your app (C:\Program
Files\MyName\MyApp\MyPostgresql\... or whatever), use a app unique
service name and pick a alternate port number.    Only challenge is
where to put the data directory.... I don't think these should be under
C:\Program Files under ANY conditions, but they don't belong in the
current user's %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local either... I  note newer
Windows has a C:\ProgramData, so perhaps thats the 'right' default choice?