Re: Proposal: template-ify (binary) extensions

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Proposal: template-ify (binary) extensions
Дата
Re: Proposal: template-ify (binary) extensions  (Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert,

thanks for answering. I think you responded to the (or some) idea in
general, as I didn't see any relation to the quoted part. (Otherwise
this is a hint that I've not been clear enough.)

On 07/15/2013 05:49 AM, Robert Haas wrote (in a slightly different order):
> There is a lot of
> (well-founded, IMHO) resistance to the idea of letting users install C
> code via an SQL connection.

Nowhere did I propose anything close to that. I'm in full support of the
resistance. Pitchforks and torches ready to rumble. :-)

> The security problems with this model have been discussed in every
> email thread about the extension template feature.

I read through a lot of these discussions, recently, but mostly found
misunderstanding and failure to distinguish between available extension
(template) and created extension (instantiation). I think this is a new
proposal, which I didn't ever see discussed. It does not have much, if
anything, to do with Dimitri's patch, except for it having made the
point obvious to me, as it continues to mix the two mental models.

I don't see much of a difference security wise between loading the DSO
at extension creation time vs. loading it at every backend start. More
details below.

My major gripe with the current way extensions are handled is that SQL
scripts are treated as a template, where as the DSO is only "pointed
to". Changing the SQL scripts in your extension directory has no effect
to the installed extension. Modifying the DSO file certainly has. That's
the inconsistency that I'd like to get rid of.

A security analysis of the proposal follows.

Granted, the "internalization" of the DSO is somewhat critical to
implement. Running as a non-root user, Postgres has less power than that
and can certainly not protect the internalized DSO from modification by
root. It can, however, store the DSO well protected from other users
(e.g. in a directory within $PGDATA).

Relying on the external DSO only exactly once can provide additional
safety. Consider an extensions directory that's accidentally
world-writable. As it stands, an attacker can modify the DSO and gain
control as soon as a new connection loads it. With my proposal, the
attacker would have to wait until CREATE EXTENSION. A point in time
where the newly created extension is more likely to be tested and
cross-checked.

I'm arguing both of these issues are very minor and negligible, security
wise. Baring other issues, I conclude there's no security impact by this
proposal.

Arguably, internalizing the DSO (together with the SQL) protects way
better from accidental modifications (i.e. removing the DSO by
un-installing the extension template via the distribution's packaging
system while some database still has the extension instantiated). That
clearly is a usability and not a security issue, though.

If nothing else (and beneficial in either case): Postgres should
probably check the permissions on the extension directory and at least
emit a warning, if it's world-writable. Or refuse to create (or even
load) an extension, right away.

Regards

Markus Wanner

Сообщение: Re: Proposal: template-ify (binary) extensions
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: template-ify (binary) extensions