Re: Distributed systems and primary keys

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Distributed systems and primary keys
Дата
Re: Distributed systems and primary keys  (Melvin Call <melvincall979@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 07/12/2013 07:23 AM, Melvin Call wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Can anyone point me to some reading material on how auto-generated
> sequence primary keys are handled on distributed systems? I think the
> advice used to be to use GUIDs, but I thought I read somewhere that
> PostgreSQL now assigns a pool of numbers to each node when a sequence is
> implemented. I have searched the PostgreSQL 9.1.5 Documentation, but
> apparently my search terms are not quite what it takes, or dreamt that up.

PostgreSQL itself does not support a distributed architecture. You may
be thinking of Postgres-XC?

Sequences are local to each instances and it is not a pool, it is a
64bit allocation for each sequence within the local node, generally
constrained only when called from the serial (big serial being 64 bits)
type to 32 bits.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

Сообщение: Re: transactional swap of tables
Сообщение: Re: transactional swap of tables