Re: Millisecond-precision connect_timeout for libpq

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Millisecond-precision connect_timeout for libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/09/2013 01:18 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> It's fairly common with certain kinds of apps, including Rails and PHP.
>>  This is one of the reasons why we've discussed having a kind of
>> stripped-down version of pgbouncer built into Postgres as a connection
>> manager.  If it weren't valuable to be able to relocate pgbouncer to
>> other hosts, I'd still say that was a good idea.
>
> for the record, I think this is a great idea.

Well, we discussed this a bit last year.  I'd personally love to have an
event-based connection manager tied to local Postgres, which could use
all of PostgreSQL's various authentication methods.  For the simple
case, where a user has a rails/mod_python/PHP app which just spawns lots
of connections, this could make the whole "too many connections"
headache go away as a concern for first-time users.

We'd still need pgbouncer for the serious scalability cases (so that we
could put it on other machines), but I am a bit tired of explaining how
to manage max_connections to people.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.