Re: Review: extension template

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Review: extension template
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter,

> I think there is an intrinsic conflict here.  You have things inside the
> database and outside.  When they depend on each other, it gets tricky.
> Extensions were invented to copy with that.  They do the job, more or
> less.

I agree. And to extend upon that, I think it's important to distinguish
between the created extension and the available one, i.e. the template.
Only the template lives outside. The created extension itself is firmly
sitting in the database, possibly with multiple dependencies from other
objects. It does not dependent on anything outside of the database
(assuming the absence of a DSO of the extension, which does not follow
that template concept).

And yes, we decided the objects that are part of the extension should
not get dumped with pg_dump. Nobody argues to change that. Note,
however, that this very decision is what raises the "intrinsic conflict"
for pg_restore, because CREATE EXTENSION in the dump depends on the
outside extension. If anything, Dimitri's patch solves that.

> Now you want to take the same mechanism and apply it entirely
> inside the database.  But that wasn't the point of extensions!  That's
> how you get definitional issues like, should extensions be dumped or not.

IMO the point of extensions is to extend Postgres (with code that's not
part of core). Whether their templates (SQL sources, if you want) are
stored on the file system (outside) or within the database is irrelevant
to the concept.

Think of it that way: Take one of those FUSE-Postgres-FS things [1],
which uses Postgres as the backend for a file system and allows you to
store arbitrary files. Mount that to the extensions directory of your
Postgres instance and make your extension templates available there
(i.e. copy them there). CREATE EXTENSION would just work, reading the
templates for the extension to create from itself, via that fuse
wrapper. (If the FUSE wrapper itself was using an extension, you'd get
into an interesting chicken and egg problem, but even that would be
resolvable, because the installed extension doesn't depend on the
template it was created from.)

Think of Dimitri's patch as a simpler and more elegant way to achieve
the very same thing. (Well, modulo our disagreement about the dependency
between extension and templates.) And as opposed to the file system or
fuse approach, you'd even gain transactional safety, consistency (i.e. a
constraint can enforce a full version exists as the basis for an upgrade
script), etc... But who am I to tell you the benefits of storing data in
a database?

Of course, you then also want to be able to backup your templates (not
the extensions) stored in the database. Just like you keep a backup of
your file-system templates. Either by simply making a copy, or maybe by
keeping an RPM or DEB package of it available. Thus, of course,
templates for extensions need to be dumped as well.

> I don't believe the above use case.  (Even if I did, it's marginal.)
> You should always be able to arrange things so that an upgrade of an
> inside-the-database-package is possible before or after pg_restore.

Dimitri's scenario assumes an old and a new version of an extension as
well as an old and a new Postgres major version. Where the old extension
is not compatible with the new Postgres major version. Which certainly
seems like a plausible scenario to me (postgis-2.0 is not compatible
with Postgres-9.3, for example - granted, it carries a DSO, so it's not
really a good example).

Given how extensions work, to upgrade to the new Postgres major version
*and* to the required new version of the extension, you don't ever need
to "upgrade an inside-the-database-package". Instead, you need to:

createdb -> provide templates -> CREATE EXTENSION -> restore data

Now, CREATE EXTENSION and restoring your data has effectively been
merged for the user, as pg_dump emits proper CREATE EXTENSION commands.
"Providing templates" so far meant installing an RPM or DEB. Or copying
the files manually.

But in fact, how and where you provide templates for the extension is
irrelevant to that order. And the possibility to merge the second step
into the 'restore data' step certainly sounds appealing to me.

> pg_dump and pg_restore are interfaces between the database and the
> outside. They should have nothing to do with upgrading things that live
> entirely inside the database.

I don't get your point here. In my view, libpq is intended to modify the
things that live inside the database, including extensions (i.e. ALTER
EXTENSION ADD FUNCTION). Or what kind of "things that live entirely
inside the database" do you have in mind.

> There would be value to inside-the-database package management, but it
> should be a separate concept.

Anything that's incompatible to extensions is not gonna fly. There are
too many of them available, already. We need to ease management of
those, not come up with yet another concept.

Regards

Markus Wanner

[1]: for example, pgfuse:
database in user-space filesystem accessing a Postgresql database:
https://github.com/andreasbaumann/pgfuse