hstore for handling large amounts of events?

От Johannes Staffans
Тема hstore for handling large amounts of events?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi!

I'm quite unfamiliar with the capabilities of hstore, so bear with me.

My use case is recording a large-ish amount of timestamped, single-value
events which are continuously pushed to the server from outside sources.
The structure of one event is (event_id, source_id, timestamp, value). I
also have to provide reporting capabilities (e.g. display reports that
accumulate values over a given period of time). I never want to edit the
events after they have been recorded.

I've always thought that some kind of NoSQL-ish solution would be well
suited for this, but having read a bit (e.g. [1]), I've started
wondering. Do you think hstore would be good for this and if so, why? Am
I better off with a more traditional solution?

The scale of it all is about 2M events/month. According to my
calculations, that should mean about 45 Mb of data/month, which is not
really that much.

Cheers,

Johannes

[1]