Re: Cannot connect to remote postgres database

От Stephen Carville
Тема Re: Cannot connect to remote postgres database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/03/2013 01:30 PM, Daniel Serodio (lists) wrote:
> Stephen Carville wrote:
>> I have been asked to evaluate Oracle, mysql and postgresql as a possible
>> replacement for our existing Oracle and MsSQL databases. Oracle and
>> mysql I pretty much have covered.  Postgresql, OTOH, is somewhat less
>> cooperative.
>>
>> I have the software (v 8.4.13) installed on 64 bit Centos 6. It is
>> listening on all available interfaces and netstat confirms this.  I
>> created an additional user for the postgres db:
> If you want to evaluate PostgreSQL, you should evaluate v9.2. 8.4 is
> pretty ancient and lacks lots of cool features so your comparison won't
> be "fair" to PostgreSQL.

I figured it out.

I used tshark to capture the traffic. When I looked at the packets I
could see that I was asking for the wrong database!

This does not work:

# psql -h scadev02.lereta.com -U stephen

This does:

# psql -h scadev02.lereta.com -U stephen postgres

I guess it's always easy once you know the answer.

--
Stephen Carville
Apprentice Cook and Bottle Washer