Re: "pg_ctl promote" exit status

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: "pg_ctl promote" exit status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/1/13 12:47 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Approximately none of these changes seem correct to me.  For example,
>> why is failing to open the PID file 6, or failing to start the server 7?
>
> Well, according to that URL, we have:
>
>     6    program is not configured
>     7    program is not running

There is also

4    user had insufficient privilege

> I just updated the pg_ctl.c comments to at least point to a valid URL
> for this.  I think we can just call this item closed because I am still
> unclear if these return codes should be returned by pg_ctl or the
> start/stop script.
>
> Anyway, while I do think pg_ctl could pass a little more information
> back about failure via its return code, I am unclear if LSB is the right
> approach.

Yeah, a lot of these things are unclear and not used in practice, so
it's probably better to stick to exit code 1, unless there is a clear
use case.  The "status" case is different, because there the exit code
can be passed out by the init script directly.