Re: New regression test time

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: New regression test time
Дата
Re: New regression test time  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: New regression test time  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: New regression test time  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Re: New regression test time  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/29/2013 02:14 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> AIUI: They do test feature use and errors that have cropped up in the
> past that we need to beware of. They don't test every bug we've ever
> had, nor do they exercise every piece of code.

If we don't have a test for it, then we can break it in the future and
not know we've broken it until .0 is released.  Is that really a
direction we're happy going in?

> Maybe there is a good case for these last two in a different set of tests.

If we had a different set of tests, that would be a valid argument.  But
we don't, so it's not.  And nobody has offered to write a feature to
split our tests either.

I have to say, I'm really surprised at the level of resistance people on
this list are showing to the idea of increasing test coverage. I thought
that Postgres was all about reliability?   For a project as mature as we
are, our test coverage is abysmal, and I think I'm starting to see why.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.