Re: [RFC] Minmax indexes

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: [RFC] Minmax indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/28/13 12:26 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:

>>> Seems like you could incrementally update the range, at least for
>>> inserts.  If you insert a row which doesn't decrease the min or increase
>>> the max, you can ignore it, and if it does increase/decrease, you can
>>> change the min/max.  No?
>>>
>>> For updates, things are more complicated.  If the row you're updating
>>> was the min/max, in theory you should update it to adjust that, but you
>>> can't verify that it was the ONLY min/max row without doing a full scan.
>>>    My suggestion would be to add a "dirty" flag which would indicate that
>>> that block could use a rescan next VACUUM, and otherwise ignore changing
>>> the min/max.  After all, the only defect to having min to low or max too
>>> high for a block would be scanning too many blocks.  Which you'd do
>>> anyway with it marked "invalid".
>>

>> If we add a dirty flag it would probably be wise to allow for more than one
>> value so we can do a clock-sweep. That would allow for detecting a range
>> that is getting dirtied repeatedly and not bother to try and re-summarize it
>> until later.
>>
>> Something else I don't think was mentioned... re-summarization should be
>> somehow tied to access activity: if a query will need to seqscan a segment
>> that needs to be summarized, we should take that opportunity to summarize at
>> the same time while pages are in cache. Maybe that can be done in the
>> backend itself; maybe we'd want a separate process.
>

> This smells a lot like hint bits and all the trouble they bring.

Possibly; though if that's the case just having a second process do the work would probably eliminate most of that
problem.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Documentation/help for materialized and recursive views
Сообщение: Re: Documentation/help for materialized and recursive views