Re: Hash partitioning.

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Hash partitioning.
Дата
Re: Hash partitioning.  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> We could also allow a large query to search a single table in parallel.
> A seqscan would be easy to divide into N equally-sized parts that can be
> scanned in parallel. It's more difficult for index scans, but even then
> it might be possible at least in some limited cases.

So far reading sequentially is still faster than hopping between
different locations. Purely from the I/O perspective, that is.

For queries where the single CPU core turns into a bottle-neck and which
we want to parallelize, we should ideally still do a normal, fully
sequential scan and only fan out after the scan and distribute the
incoming pages (or even tuples) to the multiple cores to process.

Regards

Markus Wanner